Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default One last question (today that is...) on buying rough hardwood

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 10:30:39 -0500, dpb wrote:

Larger mills and lumberyards, however, typically don't like to deal with
the individual "pick-through" simply for the reason you realize -- it
leaves them w/ nothing but culls (or for graded hardwood that all met at
least the minimum for the grade, the lowest of the grade which is the
same thing).

That's why I LOVE my favorite local big hardwood guy.

Pick all you want. He's also a flooring and pointy stick mill, so
he's got plenty of uses for culls.

Surely, if you're in a location that has trees...and, therefore, mills.

Had several favorites, particularly in VA, less convenient in TN but
still around. SW KS? Not so much...

Interesting the last issue of FWW has a big banner on the front cover --
"Where to Find the Best Lumber" -- the article turns out to be mostly
about two guys w/ portable sawmills and a small one-man mill catering to
the local trade/craft folks.