Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Just discovered a cellar!!!

Before I started on my renovation I rang BC for some advice. I am
replacing about half of my downstairs floor, which should be quarry
tiles on earth, but is a patchwork of quarry tiles, concrete and
nothing. I now know that one neat concrete rectangle is in fact the
blocked up entrance to the cellar. I mentioned that my walls are 2ft
thick random stone and mud, that there are no foundations (so I
thought), no dpm or dpc and no damp. My plan to replace the floor with
flagstones was unacceptable. I had to underpin the house, damp proof
inject the walls, excavate the floor, put in a dpm, radon sump. I kid
you not!

Hmmm - sounds a very unenlightened approach from BC in relation to an
older building (how old?)

I don't blame you for going your own way in those circumstances.

Listed building status might do you some good (in that inappropriate
building regs don't have to be followed) - have you considered getting
a spot listing?