Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tom.harrigan@gmail.com is offline

Default Just discovered a cellar!!!

On 5 Aug, 10:49, " wrote:
Is your building listed?

Generally, restoration and repair isn't a planning or building control
matter. Reinstatement may be - however bringing a cellar back into use
as a cellar is probably ok - unless you were planning some very
different use for it.

Before I started on my renovation I rang BC for some advice. I am
replacing about half of my downstairs floor, which should be quarry
tiles on earth, but is a patchwork of quarry tiles, concrete and
nothing. I now know that one neat concrete rectangle is in fact the
blocked up entrance to the cellar. I mentioned that my walls are 2ft
thick random stone and mud, that there are no foundations (so I
thought), no dpm or dpc and no damp. My plan to replace the floor with
flagstones was unacceptable. I had to underpin the house, damp proof
inject the walls, excavate the floor, put in a dpm, radon sump. I kid
you not!

Since then I have had nothing to do with my local BC department, save
submitting a building notice which neglects to mention about 3/4 of
what I'm actually doing.