Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Harry Dellamano Harry Dellamano is offline

Default 0th cut, c/esr meter - Meter_0.jpg

"John Larkin" wrote in message

With some decent code, this could measure capacitance (uF range, not
pFs), true esr, resistance, millivolts, possibly a useful range of
inductances. It could find shorted pcb traces and maybe plot diode
curves.

The dac is optional, and the adc might be inside the uP.

This is a stage 0 brainstorm. Of course you can find objections, but
I'd prefer improvements.

John

As JL points out this is a nice "sort of everything meter". To me it even
looks like an AWG. I believe the main thrust of this project is to design a
ESR Meter with the best design trade offs to meet our testing needs. To
measure a wide range of ESR, hopefully to 1mR. If other applications fall
out of the design then we have an even more viable product but we should
initially focus on ESR.
With a wide range of series capacity in the DUT we need to either apply a
fast current step, maybe 10uS or a continuous drive of 100KHz or higher to
diminish the capacity effects from resistance. JL's meter is just too slow
for this task.
Regards,
Harry