Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Joel Kolstad Joel Kolstad is offline

Default Heartburn of the Day

"Richard The Dreaded Libertarian" wrote in message
news
"But we need the army for when somebody attacks us!"
No, actually, that's what The Right To Keep And Bear Arms is about.

It's not realistic, as an individual, to defend yourself against an ICBM. Or
even a tank... and let's not even start down the road of biological
weapons...

Even Ayn Rand's objectivists believe in having a military, although I seem to
recall they believe that an all volunteer army will do.

I think the objectivsts suffer from the same sort of blind-sightedness that
you might, Rich: It's one thing to say that everyone will be well-informed and
diligent and act based on a balance between their own best interests and those
of the country they're a part of, but in acutality there are far too many
people out there who are evil, corrupt, or just plain apathetic who'll spoil
it for everyone without a little government oversight. When modern communists
claim that communism has never actually "failed" because there's never been a
"true" communist country, I think they're 100% correct... what they don't
realize is that there never will be one either!