Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default Bwahahahahahaha! Virginia isn't for "lovers" anymore

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:23:23 -0400, Chuck Harris
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Oooops! You're right. I forgot the one where I out-dragged a '56
Ford with a '50 Nash, until I snagged a telephone pole about 10 feet
off the ground ;-)

(I'm not kidding.)

...Jim Thompson

I've driven in a '51 Nash, and with its stellar 83 HP "L" head inline 6 cylinder
engine, it could barely get out of its own way. Hard to believe that it could
out drag anything but perhaps a bicycle, let alone achieve air.

It was an interesting car, the engine idled so smoothly and quietly that
it was often mistaken for stalled... a fact quickly disproved by the grinding
of the starter bendix against the turning flywheel.

My '50 Nash was a full-sized 4-door that was pretty fast... not as
fast as the '56 Ford, but I always make up for such situations with
moxie, like not slowing for corners, which is where I finally lost it
;-)

I then had a '53 Hudson Jet... compact with a 4-cylinder... still
pretty fast... it'd do ~80MPH.

Then a '53 Packard straight-8 ;-)

These were all before I was 18.

Then I went off to MIT and, in 1961, bought a new Renault Dauphine,
which I kept, until 1968, in Arizona.

My other vehicles, '64 Dodge Dart, '67 Cougar, '67 (IIRC) Toyota
Corolla, free '68 T-Bird at Philco-Ford, '77 LTD, '77 280Z, '83 280ZX,
'84 Maxima, '96 Q45, '01 Frontier, '05 Q45

Plus the kids shared a variety of old heavy Fords while they learned
to drive, then various Nissan vehicles. All descendants have Nissan
products now, except one daughter-in-law has a Ford Explorer, and one
granddaughter a new Yaris.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |