Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default SMT layout for multi capacitor bypass

John Popelish wrote:

Joerg wrote:

If you can't have vias in the pads that should do a pretty good job.
It depends on what you want to filter. Many times it's to provide a
low impedance node at the pin or to avoid EMI from the chip leaking
out. Then I usually place a 0.1uF and a 4700pF or so "head to head".
That makes for the shortest distance of either one to the supply pin.

I have not built anything that required more than a single bypass
capacitor at each power pin.

I did but that was where I could not have a wide enough supply plane. An
AD converter. For the heck I took out the 4700pF cap and sure enough the
internal clock feedthrough became noticeably worse.

Bottomline the best line of defense is IMHO a nice fat power plane
that capacitively couples to a full ground plane. Then you can
sprinkle the 0.1uF caps with more tolerance and can forego smaller
values because the plane to plane capacitance takes care of the really
high noise spectra.

Of course I realize that the mere mention of a ground plane might
trigger a whole new ground philisophy thread. Well, considering the
current mess on s.e.d., maybe not this time.

I am very happy to have a ground plane, but this thread was prompted by
a thread in sci.electronics.design about advice to use multiple
capacitors (more than 2 specific values) as bypass for some demanding
application. I am just hypothesizing about how I would actually do
that, if I could be convinced that it might accomplish something. The
small size of 0201 SMT parts also limits the possibilities.

In that thread it seemed like a consultant was going a wee bit overboard
by simulating something to death. Best is to just lay it out and try. I
bet that company would have already saved a ton of money that way.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com