Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Anthony Fremont Anthony Fremont is offline

Default A toast to toasting... - me.jpg

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:52:18 -0500, Anthony Fremont wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:54:31 -0500, Anthony Fremont wrote:

That wasn't my bike, just one like it but with a windsheild and
backrest rack. Your ride is sweet. I love the colors and your mods
make it look like a bigger model.

That pic makes the color look too robin egg blue. It's close to a
color scheme they just did (2006?) again, but this time they added
flakes to the blue. It looks way cooler with the solo seat and
exposed fender. Makes it look even lower to the ground.

It's getting some miles on it now, but it's still going strong
despite the constant abuse it suffers. When it starts smoking, I'm
going to do a Brian Nallin type rebuild and try to get 100HP and
100ft/lb out of it. If I can make that happen, I'll be real happy.
But then it'll be time to add that Baker 6 speed and wider
tire/swing-arm. It never ends, fortunately. ;-) That's what's
really cool about them IMO, no two are the same. Reliability has
been a non-issue. It's probably the most reliable thing I ever
owned actually.

Mine has 8K miles on it Oh and BTW I meant "like" the picture in

Mines well over 35K. Not a hude number of miles for ten years, but more
than most people ride I think. Especially since I didn't ride it for spells
like when I wrecked it (about a year till I got it all going again), wife
pregnant-daughter born (major slice out of riding time there), floods (3 to
be exact) etc.

the link I posted but WITHOUT the backrest rack and shield. Oh and it
has the drag handlebars. 100% stock except for removing the coin

Ok, I can picture that. I like my flat-track bars, it's like riding a 500lb
dirt bike. Wheelies and all. ;-)

plate in the baffles and a rejet to compensate for the loss of back
pressure. I really like the sound of those factory pipes without the
end piece in the baffle. Real throaty without the brap brap brap brap
that straight pipes on a 74 CUI motor make. I've ridden with bigger
CUI Harleys and when I crack the throttle, no problem keeping up. The
Sporty is a light bike at 400 lbs and the HP/Weight ratio is the same

Should be about 480lbs IIRC.

or exceeds bigger models until you get into the custom 108 CUI

Exactly, that's why the "hog" riders make fun of them. It's because they're
faster and they're jealous. I'd like to have a bigger bike (or two or
three), but I'll never sell my Sporty. Like the little sticker on my air
cleaner says "Sure it's a girls bike, wanna race for pink slips?" The BT
guys think they've got something with their "twin" cams. Next thing you
know they'll be bragging about Quad cams and proper pushrod geometry once
they steal that from the Sportster too.

models. I could punch the bore out on the jugs to 80 for a few more
horseys but I want a reliable bike. The 883 model has the same stroke
but IIRC the bore is 3" where the 1200 is 3.5.

Right, you can bore the stock 883 jugs the 1/2" to take them out to 1200cc.
New pistons and a gasket kit and your in business for a fraction of what the
factory charges for the "upgrade". The 883 has fewer teeth on the front
pulley (27 vs 29) so it will have more oomph out of the hole once converted,
but it will rattle your teeth a little harder on the hiway as well.

If you haven't done it, I highly recommend rejetting and a K&N
filter/Screamin Eagle air cleaner setup. My pipes look just like the stock
ones, including having the HD scripted name on them. They have tapered ends
so they aren't quite as loud as slash cuts, but they can be heard ok. Not
"brappy" or as I put it "splatty" at all. I can't stand that. I also can't
stand back-firing when you let off the throttle, so we have none of that
going on here. Just a nice BRRRRRRRRRR as it slows down. I tend to use
engine compression as my primary braking force so I don't want to hear that
cackling crap.