Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Anthony Fremont Anthony Fremont is offline

Default My Massive Tube! (FPD) Warning 401kB - BigScreen.jpg

MassiveProng wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:53:04 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:10:51 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

I'm not to keen on LCD myself. The light leakage and poor black
levels aren't too cool. The color banding blows too. I wish the
manufacturers would just stop lying and admit that they can't even
accomplish true 24 bit color yet. If you can see banding, then it
aint 24 bit.

No, I was referring to a new technology where they used DLP mirror
arrays, but illuminate with LED light instead of color wheel crap.

Oh ok. I honestly can't see the industry letting go of the $400
replacement bulb gravy train they've got going now. What do you
want to bet that whatever they come up with will require some kind
of consumable.

Absolutely not. The article I read specifically mentioned direct
competition with that segment.

They'll
run the LEDs on the verge of self-destruction and let the power
company take care of the rest. I have good UPS's on my stuff.

LEDs probably "short" out open.

The color wheel does ok, faster and more segments would eliminate the
rainbows. There has to be a point that you just can't see them
anymore. Some manufacturers are using color wheels with six
different colors instead of three.

It is still old technology.

And LCD is not? DLP is the newest technology on the shelves AFAIK.

The LEDs are far less consuming and far longer lifespan.

We will have to see on that. It sure looks like they're burning out in
traffic signals and car tail lights fast enough. The light source will be
expensive and it will have a limited life (man-made at least).