Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Anthony Fremont Anthony Fremont is offline

Default My Massive Tube! (FPD) Warning 401kB - BigScreen.jpg

MassiveProng wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:33:41 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

You're wrong about the mirrors not being fast enough for fast
action. The only problem is with rainbow effects for those who see
them (and I do, but I'm highly sensitive to monitor flicker too). I
only see them when the scene is dark with bright spots, and usually
when moving my head sideways.

Hehehe.. When I worked on upright video games there were some that
had no horizontal deflection. Just a vertical line. If one stood
looking at it, and shook one's head side to side, one could see the
entire screen in that single vertical line. Pretty cool stuff, CRTs.

It's a color wheel issue, the newer double speed wheels apparently
help allot, but some still see the effects.

There is a rear projection display that uses LEDs, for the light
beams. Pretty interesting stuff, and I am not a fan of RP, but it
looks and sounds like good technology...

That isn't the link I was looking for, but that HD mag is at work
right now.

I'm not interested in RP either. Too bulkey and too small. The picture
looks real good, but I don't like thick TV. The prices are absolutely
insane too. Nothing but profit margin.

They're not that annoying to me (and
believe me I annoy easily) so I can live with them. Brightly lit
scenes (like NASCAR :-) are incredible, the Daytona 500 finish was
worth the price of the projector alone. Colors are very brilliant,
some people say plasma like, but I don't know if I'd go quite that
far.

I think Plasma sucks.

I'm not to keen on LCD myself. The light leakage and poor black levels
aren't too cool. The color banding blows too. I wish the manufacturers
would just stop lying and admit that they can't even accomplish true 24 bit
color yet. If you can see banding, then it aint 24 bit.

I do know that in a dark
room even on low lamp mode, it's friggin bright, almost too bright.
Way better black levels than LCD, good flesh tones too. No
affiliation, yada yada, just majorly impressed.

I think OLED will usher in better FPDs. I ain't doing the projector
thing yet.

There just isn't a substitute for size.