Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default One last question (today that is...) on buying rough hardwood

Eigenvector wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message
Too bad, but no harm asking I suppose. I just can't believe that a
lumber mill wouldn't consider selling it for a markdown - even if only on
that one section. Figure wood that's split, and especially something
like oak where it never actually separates just tears and frays isn't
really usable, but the rest of the board would be. 8 feet, 1 foot is
bad, give me 7 feet, plus a discount on the remaining 1 foot. That seems
entirely reasonable to me and would prevent good lumber from piling up in
their inventory.

That's why when I buy my lumber I like to chalk out most of my cuts. If I
am buying a 6" wide piece of 4/4 maple and there is a split at one end, I
will check and see if I can use that section for a piece of the project
that is not as wide. Most often you will be able to do this.

Also, if the split is not very long and you find you can't use that
section of the lumber, use it for fire wood.

Pretty expensive firewood, but your point about using it for other purposes
is well taken.

I'm not trying to **** everyone off, and my response to dpb was more
irritation at how flippant his comments were. ...

My comments weren't intended as "flippant" at all...

I buy hardwood by the 100's of feet at a time if not a full bundle and
there _will_ be some splits -- that's life--wood splits.

Whether the BORG will knock off a little for a split end is probably far
more likely than a mill unless, as somebody else noted, they're letting
you pick and choose -- and if you are, undoubtedly they'll charge a
premium for that -- otherwise, all they're left with in the end out of a
stack of graded lumber is the minimum pieces and none of the better.
So, they end up "eating" a bunch if they don't compensate in some manner.

As for best value in buying hardwood, for almost everything I do I find
1C by far the most cost-effective. Then, by buying in large enough
quantities that I have a fair supply on hand, I can select from my own
pile what I want/need for any given project.