Posted to rec.woodworking
GarageWoodworks GarageWoodworks is offline

Default One last question (today that is...) on buying rough hardwood

Too bad, but no harm asking I suppose. I just can't believe that a lumber
mill wouldn't consider selling it for a markdown - even if only on that
one section. Figure wood that's split, and especially something like oak
where it never actually separates just tears and frays isn't really
usable, but the rest of the board would be. 8 feet, 1 foot is bad, give
me 7 feet, plus a discount on the remaining 1 foot. That seems entirely
reasonable to me and would prevent good lumber from piling up in their
inventory.

That's why when I buy my lumber I like to chalk out most of my cuts. If I
am buying a 6" wide piece of 4/4 maple and there is a split at one end, I
will check and see if I can use that section for a piece of the project that
is not as wide. Most often you will be able to do this.

Also, if the split is not very long and you find you can't use that section
of the lumber, use it for fire wood.