Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default One last question (today that is...) on buying rough hardwood

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

Just the way it comes....

So all the REAL woodworkers just deal with it and buy defective boards?

I guess given a choice I wouldn't purchase that particular piece, so I
would imagine it sits around quite a bit waiting for a REAL woodworker to
buy it - 'cause you know that's just the way it gets sold.

No. That's why you go to a yard that let's you pick out your boards....to
avoid such stuff.
Some of the online dealers are good enough that they won't send you junk
though. One other thing to note,
when BF is calculated, it's calculated at the widest part of the board. So
if you have a board that goes from
thin to wide to thin again, they measure at the widest point. At least
that's how I've been charged. Now in saying that,
If there's an obvious defect towards the end of a board, I've been able to
talk them down on occasion....but not always.
Cheers,
cc