Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default NEC question -- can a circuit have both 220v and 110v outlets

In article ,
Ignoramus2331 wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:54:22 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Ignoramus2331
wrote:

thinwall, rigid, 12 gauge THHN

Code permits up to 9 (!!) 12AWG THHN conductors in 1/2" thinwall
("electrical
metallic tubing" or EMT), so you're perfectly good with three or four. Even
though Code permits using the conduit as the equipment grounding conductor,
prefer to pull a separate wire when possible.

Nine would be pretty tough to pull, though. g

OK... So, my plans are solidifying, then. I am going to make it a 20A,
220V, circuit, protected by a double pole breaker. For the outdoor
receptacle, I will have two outlets: one double 110v GFCI outlet on
one of the legs, and one 20A, 220v outlet, protected by its own
GFCI. I hope that such a thing exists.

The outdoor 20a outlet, would be for the purposes of maybe upgrading
the pool pump one day or adding a pool heater.

Are you going to make your own three-phase in the basement?