Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default NEC question -- can a circuit have both 220v and 110v outlets

In article , Ignoramus2331 wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:33:30 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:
Other than the obvious concern about whether your existing conduit has
enough room for the extra wires, I'm curious about your tapping
requirements. We use standard 120 VAC drill presses all the time for
tapping, with Tapmatic or other brand tapping heads. Are you talking
about rigid tapping? Just curious.

I think that a 1/2" conduit has enough room for three 12 gauge
conductors. I would have to double check.

Electrically, it depends on the conduit and the type of wire. For most
combinations of the two, you're good, but (for example) with type RHH or RHW
wire in Sched. 80 rigid PVC conduit, you're limited to two 12ga conductors
total. Obviously if there are other wires there already, you need to take that
into account as well when calculating the conduit capacity.

Physically, you may find it awkward to pull three conductors through 1/2
conduit, especially if there are already conductors in it.

--
Regards,