Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default NEC question -- can a circuit have both 220v and 110v outlets

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:22:58 -0500, Ignoramus2331
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:53:55 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Ignoramus2331 wrote:
Can I have a circuit, protected by a double pole circuit breaker, that
would have a neutral and both 220v, as well as 110v, outlets.

Yes.

"Multiwire branch circuits shall supply only line-to-neutral loads. ...
Exception: Where all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are
opened simulaneously by the branch-circuit overcurrent device." [2005 NEC,
Article 210.4(C)]

This is great. I have existing conduit going into my basement
"workshop". It supplies 110v right now. I want to rewire it to supply
20A 220v, with neutral, and will add 110v outlets on both legs, as
well as 220v outlets.

On the main panel, I will use a double pole 220v breaker so that ``all
ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are opened
simulaneously by'' that breaker.

The reason for it I want to convert my drill press to three phase with
VFD, mostly for tapping. I need 220v for it.

Also, on the same circuit, outside the basement wall, I want to add
outdoor receptacles (110v and 220v) for my pool's pump. It would be
GFCI protected and I will use outdoor rared hardware.

The above mentioned pump runs a water slide on my inflatable round
pool, which also doubles as a water filter.

Some pumps use a lot of power. The one you are talking about is
probably not as high as some, but you should consider it.

The drill's power consumption could be high too.