Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default keyways on a mill..?

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:05:29 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Tom wrote:
The Davenport's wrote:

So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had
an internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a
shaft that was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small
cutter mounted at the end...the machine spindle provide the power and
thru some bit of magic, the cutter at the other end turned, cutting
the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little
thing as I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use
it, asopposed to single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a
1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Key Seating Miller. National Tool used to make them.

For all those of a doubtful disposition:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/keymilling.jpg

Tom

Ever seen inside one?

The only thing I can visualise is a worm acting direct on the cutter.

Can't really see there being room for a worm wheel.

Hmmm.... Maybe a bevel gear beside the cutter. Chain drive?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I haven't looked inside one, but I believe this is the
patent for it:

Patent number: 795420
Filing date: Feb 6, 1904
Issue date: Jul 1905

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT795420

From what I can figure out the shaft that powers it has pins
(3 pins) stuck into the end of it (inline) that engage with
the cutting wheel. A bit clunky but simple and obviously
effective.

Here is another patent that is powered from the side via a
line of gears to reach the cutter at the end.

Patent number: 1239159
Filing date: Apr 17, 1915
Issue date: Sep 1917

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1239159

There are a lot of patents concerning "key seating" tools
and machines. I just wanted to know how the one linked to in
the dropbox worked...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b