Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default keyways on a mill..?

Tom wrote:
The Davenport's wrote:

So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had
an internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a
shaft that was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small
cutter mounted at the end...the machine spindle provide the power and
thru some bit of magic, the cutter at the other end turned, cutting
the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little
thing as I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use
it, asopposed to single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a
1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Key Seating Miller. National Tool used to make them.

For all those of a doubtful disposition:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/keymilling.jpg

Tom

Ever seen inside one?

The only thing I can visualise is a worm acting direct on the cutter.

Can't really see there being room for a worm wheel.

Hmmm.... Maybe a bevel gear beside the cutter. Chain drive?

Cheers
Trevor Jones