Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeMandaville MikeMandaville is offline

Default newbie ?: what kind of machine to cut small aluminum pieces

On Aug 2, 5:48?am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Aug 2, 12:40 am, calgon wrote:

What should I get to make straight 90 degree or 45 degree cuts of
aluminum tube, sheet, etc? ... I tried a (wood) band saw before. The blade
wandered off line too much. ...
any tips? thanks

Woodworking bandsaws should cut aluminum if properly adjusted. When I
have to cut some in a client' companys shop I set the blade guides
close and sand them square if worn. A sharp blade helps but isn't
always available, usually the only one they have is dull from cutting
fiberglass circuit boards. Sometimes it's easier to cut straight if I
twist the work slightly so it rides on the back of the blade on one
side.

Jim Wilkins

Don't forget safety goggles and hearing protection!