Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
The Davenport's The Davenport's is offline

Default keyways on a mill..?

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 2 Aug, 01:17, "The Davenport's" wrote:
So, many years ago, I worked at a shop that, among other things, had an
internal keyway cutter that was used on a vertical mill. Used a shaft
that
was the same size as the bore of the part and had a small cutter mounted
at
the end...the machine spindle provide the power and thru some bit of
magic,
the cutter at the other end turned, cutting the internal keyway.

My problem now is trying to remember the name of this handy little thing
as
I may have a job coming up that would REALLY be able to use it, asopposed
single pointing a .332 wide keyway 6.3" in a 1.024"dia bore.

Thanks gang,

Mike

Mike,they are called a slotting head.Most manufacturers made them as
an option for their universal mills.Bridgeport made a self powered one
that bolted on the back end of the ram.
Mark.

We actually do still have one where I work and we use it from time to time,
but they only have about 2" of stroke, and I'll be needing over 6.3" for the
part I'm looking at.

Thanks anyway, tho

Mike