Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceiling lights in 2009?

On 2 Aug, 11:46, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Aug 2, 9:52 am, ian wrote:

I'm planning a new kitchen and bathroom, and intended embedding mini
spotlights in the ceilings. However, someone pointed out that we will
all be forced to go green in a couple of years, and will only be able to
buy energy- efficient bulbs from then on. I doubt you will find
energy-efficient mini spots (even if they exist, they will be too big to
fit in the fitting), so what happens then?

--
Ian

LV halogen is pretty darn efficient, totally different from your 60W
GLS that really has reached end of useful life.

CFL and CCFL may be energy efficient in consumption but really do
question embodied energy and end of life energy costs. You do get them
in MR16 size but output is less than overwhelming.

LED is catching up fast but next years will be twice as bright and
half the cost.

Adam

the embodied energy is small compared to the energy saved in use.

Re future proofing, the simple answer is to use fittings that will
take a range of options. Whether the future is cfl, gls, halogen or
LED, suitably sized BC socketed uplighters will take all of these.
Ditto downlighters, but with higher run cost.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Rewiring_Tips

NT