Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] celticsoc@aol.com is offline

Default Attaching sheet rock

On Jul 29, 8:34?pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

When you attach sheet rock do you attach it horizontally or vertically?
The floor to ceiling height is 8', and wall studs are spaced 16" OC, so it
would work either way, just curious if I should them horizontally (one on
top, one at bottom) or vertically?

I am leaning to installing them vertically simply because it is easier for
one person to handle, and any uneven-ness on the ceiling is probably
easier to deal with for a 4' width at a time. Does this make sense?

No. It can be easy for one person to do horizontal with the right setup.
You slide the sheet up to the ceiling and wedge it in place. One you get
just a couple or screws, it will stay. You cut the bottom sheet with a tiny
bit of clearance to the floor to take up any unevenness. There is a foot
bracket that you can use to held it in place while putting screws in.

Now you have along seam to tape at a comfortable height, the high and low
seams are only half or a third (if you use 12" sheets)

Code calls for a screw every 8" so I would do that along the edges.
However, what about the two studs in the middle? Do you put screws every
8" from top to bottom along those studs too, seems like an overkill, or
may be not?

The code says every 8" right? They mean every 8". When they change to
code to read "every 8" on the edges and put what you think looks right in
the center" you may use less.

I'm not sure what they mean by that myself. In order to follow that
code literally, it would require putting screws in between 16" on-
center studs. Before you say "Obviously they don't mean that. That
is ridiculous", I know that. The point is that you follow codes to
make sense. If it doesn't make sense, and it is not explicitly called
for in code, perhaps one needs to use judgement. The OP was asking a
question because a code was not specific.