Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default When is rewiring necessary?

The message
from Tony Bryer contains these words:

Don't risk it, install modern wiring, regulation compliant.

It might not be compliant with current regulations but that doesn't make
it illegal. And, as already said, if the OP sticks to insulated switches
and fittings the safety risk is negligible. But if he wants brass
chandeliers and switches then it's rewire time.

My late parents bungalow, built in 1968, had twin plus earth wiring for
the lights. I also had a central point for the ground floor lighting
with a mass of screw-it (?) junctions and the earth wires wrapped round
the containment in an untidy mess but that, as they say,is another
story, the ending of which has yet to be written.

--
Roger Chapman