Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rewire 220v to 110v Color question

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "John Grabowski"

wrote:

Since this post began I have read 250.119 twice. I see no specific
limitation on taping the red wire green regardless of the size. In fact
250.119(B) specifically permits it under qualified supervision

"Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors

shall
be permitted to be bare, covered or insulated. Individually covered or
insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a CONTINUOUS outer

finish
that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as
permitted in this section." [2005 NEC, Article 250.119 (emphasis added)]

IOW -- if it's insulated at all, the insulation must be green, or green

with
yellow tracer(s), from beginning to end. A wire with red insulation,

either
remarked as green at the ends, or stripped bare at the ends, does not

qualify
because it does not "have a continuous outer finish that is green or ...".

250.119(A) provides an exception for conductors larger than 6AWG,

permitting
them to be reidentified as equipment grounding conductors at the time of
*installation*.

The exception in 250.119(B) applies, in the first place, "where the

conditions
of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service

the
installation." These conditions do not exist in a residential setting.

In the second place, that exception, like the one in 250.119(A), applies

at
the time of installation *only*. In no case does the Code permit remarking

of
a conductor as an equipment grounding conductor in an *existing* system.

I'd do it anyway because I think the inspectors would find it acceptable. I
remember back in the eighties many companies were specifying isolated ground
receptacles. The contractors were installing 3 wire BX and Romex with the r
ed wire re-identified with green tape and they passed inspection. At that
time the wire marking code references were less liberal than they are now.
Now of course hospital BX and MC cable are readily available with insulated
grounding conductors.