Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Alas! the BSI have caught up with me.

Steve Walker wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:57:16 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:51:39 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

On 25 Jul, 19:43, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:46:58 -0700, meow2222 wrote:
On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have
removed the Standards from my web site.

That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do
you no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is
non- admissive. IANAL though.

I just want them off my back. They say remove from website so that
should be the end of the matter.

You are optimisitic.

I've not heard anymore from them yet.

As a self-employed engineer, I'm always annoyed at the high prices of
standards, especially when I can need dozens on any single job. What
really winds me up though is that the standards are written by
committees, which are generally formed from individuals sent free of
charge by companies working in the area!

True, but that is only part of the picture. BSi standards are more often
than not either ISO or CEN standards. I speak as one who represented BSi
on CEN standards committees for about 10 years. BSi pay for travel and
accommodation costs of representatives on these committees (and they are
not a boondoggle); BSi are strict in determining what are appropriate
costs - rightly in my opinion.

If we want standards that are relevant and only necessary rather than
being burdensome, then we need to have our interests strongly
represented on CEN/ISO committees. It takes commitment by individuals
over and above the time afforded by their employers in my experience.
BSi also have the overhead of hosting committee meetings.

Having said that, the costs of purchasing the Standards are high -
particularly to one man bands or SMEs.