Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alas! the BSI have caught up with me.

Friends.

The BSI have rumbled my bid to democratise the Gas Fitting Standards.

I don't currently have enough personal resources (time and karma) to fight
this one. However my basic idea is that by making available the standards
widely available no dishonest person can use ignorance of the standards to
trade dishonestly. A tactic that is favoured by some of the larger
companies as as well as the shabby end of the independent sector.

Would someone like to host the standards for a while? My guess is that it
will take some while perhaps a year or so before they are on to you and
then you can delete them and so on.

The amount of data is under 10Mb. The typical bandwidth is about 150 Mb
/month.

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do you
no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is non-
admissive. IANAL though.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:46:58 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do you
no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is non-
admissive. IANAL though.

I just want them off my back. They say remove from website so that should
be the end of the matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:46:58 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do you
no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is non-
admissive. IANAL though.

I just want them off my back. They say remove from website so that should
be the end of the matter.

I would replace the page with one that lists what standards are
relevant, and the has links to the BSI with words to the effect you can
buy them here. That way the folks following the links littering usenet
for the next few years won't get a dead end, and the BSI get a warm
fuzzy feeling you are driving business to them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:20:46 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:46:58 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.
That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do you
no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is non-
admissive. IANAL though.

I just want them off my back. They say remove from website so that should
be the end of the matter.

I would replace the page with one that lists what standards are
relevant, and the has links to the BSI with words to the effect you can
buy them here. That way the folks following the links littering usenet
for the next few years won't get a dead end, and the BSI get a warm
fuzzy feeling you are driving business to them.

Ah can't google be persuaded to host it on their book free for all?
or as google documents?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Ed Sirett wrote:

The amount of data is under 10Mb. The typical bandwidth is about 150 Mb
/month.

Could be less using a .torrent and no need to host the files directly.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2007 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Would someone like to host the standards for a while? My guess is that it
will take some while perhaps a year or so before they are on to you and
then you can delete them and so on.

Waybackmachine to the rescue, ROT13 just in case Mr BSI is listening
uggc://jro.nepuvir.bet/jro/20070220060717ea_1/jjj.znxrjevgr.qrzba.pb.hx/TnfSvggvatFgnaqneqf/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2007 00:01, Andy Burns wrote:

Waybackmachine to the rescue

Sorry, I spoke too soon, it only has the index, not the documents :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:

Ah can't google be persuaded to host it on their book free for all?
or as google documents?

These docs are PDFs to start with - so not directly.

They could be converted into .doc files and then uploaded. But it is
still traceable to who shared them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 26, 2:50 am, John Rumm wrote:
Mogga wrote:

Ah can't google be persuaded to host it on their book free for all?
or as google documents?

These docs are PDFs to start with - so not directly.

Hi

Google Base will accept PDF's

http://base.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=40029

Regards,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
Friends.

The BSI have rumbled my bid to democratise the Gas Fitting Standards.

I don't currently have enough personal resources (time and karma) to fight
this one. However my basic idea is that by making available the standards
widely available no dishonest person can use ignorance of the standards to
trade dishonestly. A tactic that is favoured by some of the larger
companies as as well as the shabby end of the independent sector.

Would someone like to host the standards for a while? My guess is that it
will take some while perhaps a year or so before they are on to you and
then you can delete them and so on.

The amount of data is under 10Mb. The typical bandwidth is about 150 Mb
/month.

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

Why not set up a website using dummy information on one of the free
sites like http://www.freehostyou.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NickNoxx wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

I would think a .torrent is probably the easiest way to keep something
in the public domain regardless of who objects.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:01:32 +0000, djc wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:

The amount of data is under 10Mb. The typical bandwidth is about 150 Mb
/month.

Could be less using a .torrent and no need to host the files directly.

Enough (of us) would have to seed the torrent permanently. The bandwidth
is not an issue I was just saying it's not a big deal.

So who wants to carry on the tradition of public service?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 6:20 pm, Ed Sirett wrote:
Friends.

The BSI have rumbled my bid to democratise the Gas Fitting Standards.

I don't currently have enough personal resources (time and karma) to fight
this one. However my basic idea is that by making available the standards
widely available no dishonest person can use ignorance of the standards to
trade dishonestly. A tactic that is favoured by some of the larger
companies as as well as the shabby end of the independent sector.

Would someone like to host the standards for a while? My guess is that it
will take some while perhaps a year or so before they are on to you and
then you can delete them and so on.

The amount of data is under 10Mb. The typical bandwidth is about 150 Mb
/month.

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

How much for the DVD?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jul, 19:43, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:46:58 -0700, meow2222 wrote:
On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do you
no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is non-
admissive. IANAL though.

I just want them off my back. They say remove from website so that should
be the end of the matter.

You are optimisitic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I would think a .torrent is probably the easiest way to keep something
in the public domain regardless of who objects.

Looks like there's one here

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3754345

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

I would think a .torrent is probably the easiest way to keep something
in the public domain regardless of who objects.

Looks like there's one here

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3754345

My, what a coincidence :-)
A bloke in a pointed hat once told me that torrents need support to stay
live, but I don't know what he meant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

I would think a .torrent is probably the easiest way to keep something
in the public domain regardless of who objects.

Looks like there's one here

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3754345

My, what a coincidence :-)
A bloke in a pointed hat once told me that torrents need support to stay
live, but I don't know what he meant

It means that enough people have to be seeding them, and it helps to
go on seeding after they've finished downloading.

At the moment the torrent is only showing 2 seeders: if both of those
go offline then nobody can download it anymore. If half a dozen people
download it and continue seeding it then there's more resilience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

I would think a .torrent is probably the easiest way to keep something
in the public domain regardless of who objects.
Looks like there's one here

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3754345

My, what a coincidence :-)
A bloke in a pointed hat once told me that torrents need support to stay
live, but I don't know what he meant

It means that enough people have to be seeding them, and it helps to
go on seeding after they've finished downloading.

At the moment the torrent is only showing 2 seeders: if both of those
go offline then nobody can download it anymore. If half a dozen people
download it and continue seeding it then there's more resilience.

So how many seeders will this group generate I wonder, given it's in a
good cause? I guess you need to get hold of Azureus or similar if your
hat isn't pointed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes

I guess you need to get hold of Azureus or similar if your hat isn't
pointed?

I prefer uTorrent.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:51:39 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

On 25 Jul, 19:43, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:46:58 -0700, meow2222 wrote:
On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do you
no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is non-
admissive. IANAL though.

I just want them off my back. They say remove from website so that should
be the end of the matter.

You are optimisitic.

I've not heard anymore from them yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:25:30 -0700, Weatherlawyer wrote:

[...]

Sorry I've lost the context to what you are driving at.
I purchased the gas fitting BSI pdfs on ebay for a modest cost (tiny
compared to the printed versions).
It was never on a DVD.

However I do have a DVD of several hundred (mostly) boiler manuals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:57:16 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:51:39 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

On 25 Jul, 19:43, Ed Sirett wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:46:58 -0700, meow2222 wrote:
On 25 Jul, 18:20, Ed Sirett wrote:

Alas, I will be sending an email back to the BSI to say I have removed the
Standards from my web site.

That sounds like an admission, and if construed as such could do you
no favours. 'I will not distribute said information' etc is non-
admissive. IANAL though.

I just want them off my back. They say remove from website so that should
be the end of the matter.

You are optimisitic.

I've not heard anymore from them yet.

As a self-employed engineer, I'm always annoyed at the high prices of
standards, especially when I can need dozens on any single job. What really
winds me up though is that the standards are written by committees, which
are generally formed from individuals sent free of charge by companies
working in the area!

Steve W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jul, 14:06, chris French
wrote:
In message , Stuart Noble

writes

I guess you need to get hold of Azureus or similar if your hat isn't
pointed?

I prefer uTorrent.

I tried that and wouldnt recommend it. Makes a simple job time
consuming / wasting.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:01:53 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

However I do have a DVD of several hundred (mostly) boiler manuals.

And is there a torrent of that anywhere? ;-)

--
John Stumbles

Women always generalise

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:01:53 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

However I do have a DVD of several hundred (mostly) boiler manuals.

And is there a torrent of that anywhere? ;-)

I'd put a few copies on EBay. Might as well get some reward for the
effort it must have taken.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:22:26 GMT, Stuart Noble
mused:

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:01:53 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

However I do have a DVD of several hundred (mostly) boiler manuals.

And is there a torrent of that anywhere? ;-)

I'd put a few copies on EBay. Might as well get some reward for the
effort it must have taken.

I wouldn't. I have about 6,000 manuals here for my trade. They will
not be sold to anyone, they are mine for me, not for some clueless
numpty to buy from eBay and claim to know as much as me.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:01:53 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

However I do have a DVD of several hundred (mostly) boiler manuals.

And is there a torrent of that anywhere? ;-)

I'd put a few copies on EBay. Might as well get some reward for the
effort it must have taken.

I wouldn't. I have about 6,000 manuals here for my trade. They will
not be sold to anyone, they are mine for me, not for some clueless
numpty to buy from eBay and claim to know as much as me.

I was the clueless numpty who bought the original DVDs.

There are of some use. But the really old appliances are not covered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:34:47 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
mused:

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:01:53 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

However I do have a DVD of several hundred (mostly) boiler manuals.

And is there a torrent of that anywhere? ;-)

I'd put a few copies on EBay. Might as well get some reward for the
effort it must have taken.

I wouldn't. I have about 6,000 manuals here for my trade. They will
not be sold to anyone, they are mine for me, not for some clueless
numpty to buy from eBay and claim to know as much as me.

I was the clueless numpty who bought the original DVDs.

insert backpedalling

There are of some use. But the really old appliances are not covered.

That's why I never bother with any of these DVD's that say they have
everythign you need to be great at everything. I hit a problem, I
solve it, if it needs exotic manuals or software, i find them and add
them to my own collection. It's fun.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

True, but that is only part of the picture. BSi standards are more often
than not either ISO or CEN standards. I speak as one who represented BSi
on CEN standards committees for about 10 years. BSi pay for travel and
accommodation costs of representatives on these committees (and they are
not a boondoggle); BSi are strict in determining what are appropriate
costs - rightly in my opinion.

If we want standards that are relevant and only necessary rather than
being burdensome, then we need to have our interests strongly
represented on CEN/ISO committees. It takes commitment by individuals
over and above the time afforded by their employers in my experience.
BSi also have the overhead of hosting committee meetings.

Having said that, the costs of purchasing the Standards are high -
particularly to one man bands or SMEs.

Caught another possum.... [email protected] Home Repair 13 October 31st 06 02:28 AM
Alack - Alas - Oh Well J T Woodworking 2 June 23rd 06 05:13 AM
Has anyone been caught out....... The Wanderer UK diy 2 February 28th 06 04:52 PM
Swinehund caught via Broadband Gel UK diy 8 February 18th 05 09:25 AM