Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

According to mm :

I have no experience with used tyvek, but nonetheless the damage to
the tyvek seems small, and I can't measure without the siding being
held next to the tyvek, but without that help, it looks close to the
spacing of the siding. Does tyvek never rip on its own accord after
two years, or would it look perfect.

The tyvek clearly shows that it has shrunk over a moderately
wide area but in an unevent way (pull creases), with
the melt/dissolve thru holes in two places. Meaning that
whatever it was, it was most focussed around the holes.

House wrap does deteriorate when exposed to UV (hence there's
a maximum recommended time you can leave Tyvek exposed before
covering it). I _think_ that if it shrank due to UV (or simple
age under the siding) it would look somewhat different. When I
had some vapor barrier let go due to UV exposure, it looked
like it had shattered (star pattern clean rips - UV exposure
about 15 years thru some windows) without signs of shrink
distortion - uniform shrink and embrittlement - snapped rather
than tore.
--
Chris Lewis,