Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default When is rewiring necessary?

Geoff Berrow wrote:

I've just bought a house which was built in 1965. It has a modern
consumer unit but having just removed a light switch I notice the wires
leading to it are black and red.

Black and Red does not tell you much - most wiring in the country is
black and red - "modern" colours have only been standard for 2-3 years,
and even now there is plenty of old colour wire still being installed
today (non compliantly!)

At what point does a rewire become necessary?

When one of two things happen:

The existing wiring deteriorates to the point at which it becomes
unsafe. This would apply to most rubber insulated cables still installed
now for example.

and/or

The layout and quantity and position of the available accessories is a
long way from meeting your current requirements. That would include
living in a "trip hazard" that is festooned with extension leads because
you lack sockets in all the place you need them.

It is possible (although unlikely) that a 1965 place has already been
rewired, but it is probably still original.

You can get some dating clues by reading this:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....03d6bdddd41466

--
Cheers,

John.