Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default How to toe-screw properly

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:ZZFri.1088$Uu4.84@trndny04...

I'm making a simple little low table/bench for my deck, and I'm trying to
toe screw the 2x4 side rails to very heavy 4x4 legs (just leftover cedar
from my deck....I wanted a "heavy" look). I'm toe screwing from the
inside to hopefully hide the screws entirely.

To position and countersink the screws I've been (starting with a wide
bit) drilling at 90 degrees for a quick 1/4" depth to give me a place to
hold the bit, and then redrilling that hole at 45 degrees for another
quick 1/4" to make a 45 degree hole ready for the smaller bore drilling
and then the screw.

It always seems that this is a harsh way to treat the wood....no matter
how careful I am, the bit at 45 degrees likes to much up the grain. Now
this is hidden anyway, but...is there another way to "seat" a 45 degree
toe screw?

Jeepers I hope I explained this well enough.

Perhaps it helps to point out that I'm tow screwing on the flat side of the
end of the 2x4...2 screws. I want to seat th screw to keep from tearing an
angled chunk out, but not too far seated because I'll run out of wood if I
go too deep.

Thanks!