Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Enco vs. KBC

On Jul 31, 9:30 am, Louis Ohland wrote:
Not being sarcastic, but I was unaware that Canada has much
industrial capacity for turning out manufactured goods. I know Canada
exports wheat, timber, Red Green Show, and bad beer.

Open my eyes to decent Canadian tool makers.

On a related note, I cannot see why it is impossible for continental
american machinery manufacturers to compete with the pac rim
manufacturers, except for the unfortunate existence of punitive government.

Brent wrote:
the only think i waish is that they had a few more "flags" If i cant
buy Canadian or American i'd LIKE to buy tools for the G7 if possible
before i buy a chinese tool. I am the type o person who WILL pay a
premium for "made in canada" but admittedly there IS a limit, i wont
pay double for the same thing to the same fit and finish

There isnt a LOT of finished industrial products but there is a lOT of
backgound work. I once heard that 60% of the journeyman moldmakers on
earth are based in windsor ontario. but remember too canada has just
slightly more than 1/8th the population of the us in 1.5 times the
area. We ARE better known for our resources but i general ther is at
leat ONE canadian firm making one of everything from Underwear
(Stanfields) to outdoor products (Mountain equipment Co-op) to milling
machines (excello) to Vehicles (Stryker LAV's and LAV 4's are built in
London Ontario at a General Dynamics factory) and the canadian auto
indistry has multiple factories DESPITE the cutbacks. (Canadian
automotive jobs have stayed stable, The more the Big 3 Cut the more
the foreign companies like honda hire)

Agreed we are NOT known for our heavy manufacturing but it IS there.
If i had a choice i'd RATHER own old canadian machine tools to old
American but i will take my Index mill over a new imported one any day
ESPECIALLY for what i paid for it.