Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Screws vs dowels

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 30, 2:57?pm, mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:42:39 -0700, FoggyTown wrote:

snip

Makes me wonder if anyone in here knows what "arts & crafts" is.
Gothic revival? Medieval revival? One of the basic features is NO
MECHANICAL FASTENINGS.

FoggyTown

I think that you've just answered your own question... unless dowels are
considered Mechanical Fasteners..

mac

No, a dowel is not a mechanical fastener. Screws, nails, brads,
clips, etc. are.

Let me try restate the question.

In a project where screws would normally (and acceptably) be used to
attach one piece of wood to another, is there anything lost (i.e. in
strength or structural integrity) in using glued dowels instead of
screws?

Dowels get my vote, but it may be irrelevant since the joint that is the
result of the use either will usually be stronger than the surrounding
material.

There is a world of information on the use of various fasteners in wood
available on the www. Check here for starters:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1987/soltis87a.pdf

--
www.e-woodshop.net