Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Attaching sheet rock

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 29, 7:22 pm, dpb wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
When you attach sheet rock do you attach it horizontally or vertically?
The
floor to ceiling height is 8', and wall studs are spaced 16" OC, so it
would
work either way, just curious if I should them horizontally (one on
top, one
at bottom) or vertically?

I am leaning to installing them vertically simply because it is easier
for
one person to handle, and any uneven-ness on the ceiling is probably
easier
to deal with for a 4' width at a time. Does this make sense?

Code calls for a screw every 8" so I would do that along the edges.
However, what about the two studs in the middle? Do you put screws
every 8"
from top to bottom along those studs too, seems like an overkill, or
may be
not?

Whichever way creates the fewest seams w/ lengths to match the wall
lengths as well as feasible is my choice.

If you have full eight-ft ceilings with the little to spare (you don't
want a tight edge right at floor level), there's little likelihood of
needing any trimming at all at the ceiling either way -- an 1/8"
tolerance is a target, but 1/4" or even a half is not problem to mask
over w/ sheetrock -- it just ain't a precision medium...

If you're totally inexperienced, it could be simpler to get a decent job
quicker by avoiding any butt seams entirely which would indicate
vertically hanging them.

But, as for the ceiling tolerance, it's _far_ more important to hang the
first one vertically and aligned w/ the studs than it is to make a
perfect fit at the top because that will control all the rest going up
and hitting the studs on center for fastening adequately...

--

I find it easier to mud horizontal joints than vertical ones, and a
horizontal joint that is 4' high is a very comfortable working height

I like to glue the drywall to the studs with drywall adhesive from a
caulk gun. It still needs to be screwed down, but any screws that
aren't "quite right" when you go to mud can simply be removed.

JK

That's a good point about the joint being horizontal.

Thanks,

MC