Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Attaching sheet rock

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
When you attach sheet rock do you attach it horizontally or vertically?
The floor to ceiling height is 8', and wall studs are spaced 16" OC, so it
would work either way, just curious if I should them horizontally (one on
top, one at bottom) or vertically?

I am leaning to installing them vertically simply because it is easier for
one person to handle, and any uneven-ness on the ceiling is probably
easier to deal with for a 4' width at a time. Does this make sense?

Code calls for a screw every 8" so I would do that along the edges.
However, what about the two studs in the middle? Do you put screws every
8" from top to bottom along those studs too, seems like an overkill, or
may be not?

Thanks,

MC

Wait for someone who knows what they're talking about before taking my
advice, but when I installed my sheetrock in the basement I did it oriented
in whatever way created less waste and less joints - case in point my walls
were 3 feet from ceiling to foundation wall. I cut a sheet into a 3x8
section and screwed it in - resulting in 2 joints instead of 3 (corners +
middle). As for how many screws, I put in as many as was required by code -
1 per 8" (I actually don't and didn't know what code was, so I put in screws
at what seemed a reasonable distance - about 10" or so really. They're just
screws and it doesn't take much time to put them in, plus when mudding and
taping you'll remove some that don't go all the way in.