Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default pistols OTO was burning copper bridges

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 04:04:02 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:46:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Yabbut ya gotsk ta see/process/react by getting it out first.
"Can" is the operative word.

I think knives are most likely to beat guns when the assailant has the
knife, is already within 21 feet or less, and the defender isn't ready
to shoot. Perhaps that's what Wes meant.

Here's some background on the "21 foot rule" and attacks with edged
weapons:
http://www.policeone.com/news_internal.asp?view=113907

Ayup. That was covered in 2 of the books I've read on the subject,
Bird's _Concealed Handgun Manual_ and Ayoob's _Handgun Primer_.
I agree with the guy who took his out to 30'. Defensive living can be
transparent if you simply stay alert for potential threats. Luckily,
most of us never get into things simply by being aware. Bad guys can
see that and avoid us more often than not. That's a Good Thing(tm).

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.