Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Screws vs dowels

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm starting to construct larger pieces (chests, display cabinets,
night stands, etc.) and I very much like the "arts and crafts" style.
I would prefer adhering to those principles and use dowels instead of
screws as much as possible. But I don't want to ignore practicality
either. Would I be better off using screws which are countersunk and
then hide the heads with plugs? (This would, of course, be totally
dependent on the dynamics of the attachment point in question.)

Depends upon (among other things) how good you are, and how fussy you are.

Dowels require precise fits; screws are much less demanding.
On the other hand, dowels are invisible, but screws are pretty obvious
unless you do an incredible job of matching color and grain on your plug.

I use pocket screws where they can't be seen, but wouldn't consider using a
screw with a plug where it could be seen.
I only use dowels when biscuits or pocket screws aren't possible. But once
I get my domino...!