Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default WAS OT - Burning Copper Bridges, now OT- S&W 637

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:19:01 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:45:46 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
My alarm company is run by a couple old gentlemen named Smith and
Wesson. They don't make calls.

Can't get DSL where I am, because of all the old copper _in_the_air_ for the
1.6 miles to the local RT.

I live in Central Florida, too. And we lose a modem or phone at least twice
a year, from forgetting to unplug them when a storm comes up. (and no,
surge suppressors won't handle it... we just have to replace that along with
the modem, computer, or phone).

Surge suppressors will handle it, but not the wimpy ones you get at
Best Buy or Radio Shack. In Florida you need big MOV's like this:
http://www.epcos.com/inf/70/ds/LS41K.pdf

A bunch of electronic traffic controllers I designed were put into
service in Dade Country some years ago. Nothing short of a direct
hit bothered them. The only failures we saw, a couple a year or so,
were cremated inside the cabinet -- we're talking total crispy critter
and molten metal.

Don, which MOV from that chart do you recommend to relace the MOVs
that go in home surge suppressors like Isobar, etc. I know they have
a "lifetime" warranty, but if you want to rebuild it yourself and
really make it beefy, which MOV can you use for 110V surge
suppressors?

RWL