Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Looks like a Grizzly...

"Toller" wrote in message
Given that the Grizzly is a functional saw, with no significant defects,
and will give years of service; and sells for $1,100.
What could the Laguna have that the Grizzly does not?
The Laguna is lighter, so it is probably not radically more robust
construction.
While the Laguna has an American motor, I have never heard a complaint
about Grizzly motors, so that is probably not a big difference.
A search on 'laguna bandsaw' has many users complaining of customer
service and defects on delivery. Looking though 'grizzly bandsaw'
doesn't show such things, so that probably doesn't account for the price
difference.
Laguna skips the miter gauge and includes their light duty fence; so those
are not advantages.
Maybe the Laguna blade guides are greatly superior (though I have never
actually heard that anywhere) but they sell for $265, so they can't
account for the $700 price difference, even if they are that good.
So, how does the Laguna justify the price difference? Because it is
Bulgarian rather than Taiwanese? That must be it. The Bulgarians are
widely know for their fine bandsaws.

More often than not numbers on specifications are what the manufacturers
want you to see. If you do a good search on Grizzly also you will probably
find complaints about how their products arrive. You see what you want to
see to justify your purchase.
I will say that I too read the complaints about Laguna and personally have
not had anything but a good relationship with them.

In many instances a Yugo performs just as well as a Lexus.

I am quite sure that you will be reporting back here that you are very happy
with your Grizzly purchase. It's all in what you are looking for in a BS.