Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default pistols OTO was burning copper bridges

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Wes wrote on Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:06:02 -0400 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

I just bought my wife a new S&W 637 Airweight 38spl. I've always steered
away from the alloy models just because they didn't "feel right", and I hate
the dinky 1-7/8" barrels. But Maw wanted a "purse-sized" gun, and she
doesn't like those cheezy resin-body automatics any more than I do. Gimme
ARN in my hand!

So, down to the store for the model 637. Oh... she really _liked_ the $200
Crimson View laser grip, too.

But, know what? It's a _sweet_ little weapon! She was marking paper with
it at 10 yards in about 15 shots (with iron sights... I won't let her use
the laser, 'cause it might not work in combat). And she's never shot
anything shorter than a 4" barrel before.

Lloyd you really married well there.

A little point shooting practice at 7 feet or so would be a good idea also.
That is the real world distance your lovely wife might need to use it at.

My favorite handgun is my Security Six target model. Short of a squib that
ties up the cylinder, I'll take the revolver for the first 5 to 8 rounds
depending on model every time.

I seem to recall reading that the FBI determined that gunfights
usually last around two to three rounds, total. Between the bad guy,
you, the kid down the street, passing strangers, on average, there will
be three rounds fired in all. So a revolver works well enough.
OTOH, there are the outliers, which require more shots. So you have
to consider that as well. Are you the unlucky sort to find yourself in
the 95%? Are you two sigmas to the right when things happen? If so,
you might want to consider speed loaders, or something which holds more
ammunition. Or a change in life style which will minimize your exposure
:-)

pyotr

Wes

--