Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Which 3hp bandsaw to buy? Grizzly/Jet?

"Toller" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Toller" wrote in message
I just sold my 14" Delta because it really wasn't up to cutting big
turning blocks. So now I am under the gun to order its 3hp replacement.

The two choices seem to be the 19" Grizzly and the 18" Jet. Any reason
to pay a few hundred more for the Jet?
(I am planning on the old Grizzly 19" because it is cheaper than the new
ones. The main differance seems to be the cast iron trunnions, but
those can't be worth $200, can they?)
I know the Rikon is well regarded, but they don't seem to have a 3hp.

There are better saws out there for bigger bucks, but if I use it 50
hours a year that will be a lot; so industrial quality would not be a
good investment.
I know, I know, here I go bashing the Rikon again. Because this is not
your first band saw purchase and because you are indeed looking for more
power I would advise against the Rikon. Actually the Rikon is a lot of
saw for the money however IMHO it is a very nice "entry level" saw. If
you will be cutting turning blanks many of them will probably be green.
The roller bearing guides that come on the Rikon are IMHO not the best
choice for guides. They tend to load up with wet saw dust and you get
vibration and banging.

This is not a unique problem with Rikon, it is a problem IMHO with any
saw that has roller bearings. Rikon just happens to only come with
roller guide bearings.

As far as what to look for, I would pay more attention to the mass of the
upper and lower wheels. The more mass the more smooth the saw will
operate in heavier cutting. You might want to go to the Laguna site and
take a look at those saws. I do not know what your price range is but
the Laguna will probably be your last BS and probably has a 99.9% chance
of satisfying all your needs with out compromise. The Laguna BS's come
with 10 point ceramic guides that tend to be self cleaning and don't
vibrate.

I went through this in the Winter and Spring of last year. I had an old
Craftsman, bought the 18" Rikon, kept it for about 10 days and returned
it. A couple months later I bought a Laguna.

Which Laguna? The E16 isn't all that expensive, but it probably isn't
really a Laguna either... Or maybe it is.

The HD series are built in Italy, The lighter weight series are built in
Bulgaria. I bought the LT16HD. I would think that either unit would be
better than the Griz of Jet.