Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull Nick Hull is offline

Default WAS OT - Burning Copper Bridges, now OT- S&W 637

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

I live in Central Florida, too. And we lose a modem or phone at least twice
a year, from forgetting to unplug them when a storm comes up. (and no,
surge suppressors won't handle it... we just have to replace that along with
the modem, computer, or phone).

Surge suppressors will handle it, but not the wimpy ones you get at
Best Buy or Radio Shack. In Florida you need big MOV's like this:
http://www.epcos.com/inf/70/ds/LS41K.pdf

Those Radio shack supressors WILL handle it, but not in 1 stage.
I use a multi-stage filter using RS 110vac MOVs, with small
chokes between stages. I haven't lost anything in over 10 years,
but I lost a lot before I installed the multi-stage filters.