Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default 'Seeing' torn endgrain

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 06:44:08 -0700, robo hippy wrote:

Having good light is also a must. I got one of the BlueMax High
Definition Lamps that are advertised in Woodturning Design. It is a
full spectrum light, and shows up all those defects that you see when
you take the bowl out into the sunlight. This makes a huge difference
in what you can see. Of course I also have to have my glasses on.

robo hippy

For sure...
I have good natural light in the shop for a few hours each morning, and if
possible I save my sanding and oiling for those times...

I've also moved my buffing system outside, to catch the sunlight so I can check
the piece in natural light before going to the next wheel...

Years ago, I sanded and primed a truck in my garage... I thought it looked
GREAT!
Moved it out into natural light and saw all the scratch marks, bondo that looked
round under the florescent but had flat spots, etc... yuk!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing