Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Burning Copper Bridges...What Happens When You Get Fiber

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

LOL...it will matter if it is your house Michael...and I am not the
only buyer who will care.

If no houses in the area still have copper, it will become a non
issue. When the number of active customers drop below a certain point,
that service will be discontinued. Some people didn't want to give up
their old hand crank telephones for rotary dial service, but they had no
choice, did they? The phone companies saved a fortune by eliminating
the operators, and delivering a phone book once in a while.

Haven't you heard....they are predicting the house bust to go till
2009.

Really? That's news to me. I didn't know that my house was for
sale. It sounds like another non issue. I don't plan to move, till I
drop dead, or end up in a nursing home.

I am one for RELIABLE communications. As Jon just pointed out, that
copper line you think is worthless

Where did I say it was worthless?

is still the most reliable
communication link you have to your home....more reliable than cell or
fiber.

I don't have cellular service, and I'm still using buried copper for
about .75 miles where it turns into fiber. Most copper is long gone in
Central Florida, because of lightning damage. A recent storm had a
little over 33,100 lightning strikes as it passed across the state. It
damages copper, but not fiber.

If you haven't figured it out, the companies are shifting the
cost of keeping your fiber powered to you...so how many UPSs are you
buying to keep running when the power goes out?

BUY a UPS? Are you crazy? I have almost 20 good free ones in
storage. They are all over the place, and I can get them any time I
want them.

How about the folks on
the other end of the fiber? Now start considering what this means to
you if you have an alarm system that calls out?

My alarm company is run by a couple old gentlemen named Smith and
Wesson. They don't make calls.

And have you been
following the 911 scam where companies can't tell where your emergency
call is coming from with cell or Internet phone?

That's because people don't read the fine print, and give the proper
information. There is no excuse for something you don't do for
yourself.

And for what it is worth Michael, I will never live in a high
population density neighborhood if I can help it....far too many
disadvantages for what few advantages one gets from living there.

I live in an 40+ year old subdivision. I'm the last house on the
last road, with no houses behind me or to the one side. The Florida
Green belt runs right behind me, and there is a long term ban on new
construction, because of its ability to adsorb lots of stormwater. The
last places was 20+ acres of frozen out orange grove. I'm about three
miles from a small town, eight miles form a mall, and ten from a medium
sized city.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell