Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default 'Seeing' torn endgrain

"George H Hughes" wrote in message
When I have finished with the cutting and doing a reasonable sanding job I
like to moisten a shop towel or something like that with mineral spirits
to clean off the sawdust. That will do the same as spraying water and
clean up the saw dust also. You will be surprised how much it will show.

Mineral spirits my choice. They lay a bit on the surface, since wood
doesn't love 'em like it does water. Since that's what the finish does,
it's a good analog. They'll show up those heel bruises better'n water does,
too.

Turners know where tearout is likely, so you don't need to soak the whole
thing, just wipe those upgrain areas.