Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Sharpening Jointer Blades

Otoe wrote in message news
If you're a member over at FWW, run the index. Kerf is at the proper
angle
to present the bevel parallel to the table of the drillpress. 38 if
that's
yours. The stone is lowered to kiss the tallest knife, then sheets of
paper
added under to raise the entire apparatus as it's slud left and right..

I got the kerf concept with the blade placement. The issue is
moving the blade across the stone and keeping the blade
straight so you have a straight, sharp blade on the tip.
Somehow, I'd think the kerf jig has to be maintained the
same distance from the stone so you don't put a smilely
across the blade.

Is the blade just being dragged across the stone? If so,
how does one get a straight edge across the blade?

The blade and its holder/jig are moved as one while sitting on the
drillpress table. Since the quill is locked, the setup doesn't even really
demand a perfectly flat or perpendicular table for reference. The distance
from stone to table and in between is just diminished by sheets of paper or
increased by wear on the stone.