Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Sharpening Jointer Blades

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Otoe wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:34:39 GMT, "George" wrote:

Cheap. The reason I bought my Makita sharpener was because they wanted
fifty cents an inch (15 years ago) and I still had to clean up after
the sharpening on my honing stone.

In the interim I cut a saw kerf in a block of wood at the proper angle,
wedged the knives in it and raised it with thicknesses of paper and
passed it beneath a cone-shaped stone on my drillpress. Worked great,
but the Makita's better.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this sharpening mechanism. Is the
block of wood against a fence to keep equal distance while pushing
the blade across the stone? How is the angle adjusted to the stone
in the drillpress? The joiner blade sharpening angle is 38 degrees.

I believe he's saying saw the kerf in the block at the proper angle and
insert the knife into it to hold it. Then the edge runs against the
surface of the stone.

--

If you're a member over at FWW, run the index. Kerf is at the proper angle
to present the bevel parallel to the table of the drillpress. 38 if that's