Posted to rec.woodworking
Otoe Otoe is offline

Default Sharpening Jointer Blades

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:34:39 GMT, "George" wrote:

Cheap. The reason I bought my Makita sharpener was because they wanted
fifty cents an inch (15 years ago) and I still had to clean up after the
sharpening on my honing stone.

In the interim I cut a saw kerf in a block of wood at the proper angle,
wedged the knives in it and raised it with thicknesses of paper and passed
it beneath a cone-shaped stone on my drillpress. Worked great, but the
Makita's better.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this sharpening mechanism. Is the
block of wood against a fence to keep equal distance while pushing
the blade across the stone? How is the angle adjusted to the stone
in the drillpress? The joiner blade sharpening angle is 38 degrees.

Otoe