Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Shop accident

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:44:57 -0400, BillinDetroit
wrote:

Donald Vivian wrote:
Just another bit of advice from my own experience. If you wear gloves of
any type at the lathe be careful. I have had my hand pulled into the
lathe while wearing vinyl gloves. They were not really loose fitting,
but not super tight either. Long story short it wrapped my hand around
the pen I was turning. And then proceeded to pull my arm in and around
the work. Luckily the belt on the pulley began to slip. So I could yank
the plug from the wall. Ever since then, I now use a "deadman" foot
switch on my lathe. So anything happens, I can just move my foot and the
lathe stops.

Donald Vivian

So I can keep working, I bought some finger cots (like tiny condoms).

They seem to be plenty durable, but I doubt if they'd survive a trip
around a bowl.

Bill

I've also used the "high friction" tape from Lee Valley...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...13&cat=1,42207

I guess any first aid wrap would work, but I like the adhesive in this stuff..
very nice for sanding natural edge bowls... gives a bit of warning before your
finger gets whacked..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing