Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Shop accident

Tonight, while applying CA to a pen using a folded over piece of paper
towel as a swab, the CA -for reasons as yet unfathomed- gushed out.

It went through the towel onto my fingers, picking up enough cellulose
and moisture on the way through to set instantly.

CA sets up exothermically.

I now have rather sudden and definitely painful blisters on two fingers
which were stuck to the paper towel for upwards of two seconds. When I
pulled one towel section off, some of the skin had been cooked and came
off with it. Deep enough to bleed.

My first reaction was to thin the stuff (thus spreading the reaction out
over a larger area) with the bottle of CA solvent I keep at my lathe. I
still think that this might have saved the day but I found that, squeeze
though I might, I could only get one tiny drop at a time out of the
nozzle on the bottle. USELESS!!!!

The nozzle has now been snipped far enough down that I can get about
half the contents out with one squeeze.

I will continue to use CA as a finish, but I need to figure out a
practical (ie, simple enough to use reliably without obvious hazards of
its own) way to keep this from EVER happening again. There is a large
puffy area of skin on my finger tip ... flesh that cooked while still
attached but that did not pull off when the rest did.

I do NOT want a reprise of this event.

Just a 'heads up', gang. I had about 1/4 second warning that things had
gone sour (noting the excess glue coming out) before things went to pot.

Be careful out there.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-2, 07/21/2007
Tested on: 7/21/2007 10:05:34 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 22 jul, 04:05, BillinDetroit wrote:
Tonight, while applying CA to a pen using a folded over piece of paper
towel as a swab, the CA -for reasons as yet unfathomed- gushed out.

Hi Bill,
This must be very painful. Please watch out for infection!
If this happens to anyone, treat it as burn wounds: get the heat away
with cold water and don't pull anything off, better keep the skin
covered to prevent from infection.
I hope it heals fast Bill!

Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:05:33 -0400, BillinDetroit
wrote:

OUCH!
This will sound crazy, but sometimes a new layer of CA will stop the pain and
seal it from bacteria, giving you time to hop around the shop swearing like a
sailor..

I won't get into ways to prevent it happening again, just let you in on a tip
that I got when it happened to me:

The solvent works well for some things, but I keep a cheap bottle of finger nail
polish remover on the shelf over the lathe... you don't want the new "no
acetone" type, BTW...

Very handy to flush skin with because of the normal bottle size opening, and a
LOT less expensive than solvent...

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"BillinDetroit"
(clip(-for reasons as yet unfathomed-(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Paper causes C/A glue to set. I know about the *exothermicity*--I learned
it the same way you did. Spread the stuff with the edge of a card, or a
wood shaving or whatever is handy, but NOT a rag or paper towel wrapped
around your finger--kuz when it takes off, you can see into your future, and
can't do a thing about it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

I use surgical gloves from harbor freight. 3 bucks on sale for a box
of 100. if this happens with the gloves they will rip the glove off
without getting your fingers.
also I apply CA with the blue expantion joint material you find on
concrete jobs. not sure what its called but it is a foam plastic type
material and a few feet of it will last for years turning pens. this
stuff doesnt react with the CA. you get a little more working time
too. thats a big plus.

skeez

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"BillinDetroit"
(clip(-for reasons as yet unfathomed-(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Paper causes C/A glue to set. I know about the *exothermicity*--I learned
it the same way you did. Spread the stuff with the edge of a card, or a
wood shaving or whatever is handy, but NOT a rag or paper towel wrapped
around your finger--kuz when it takes off, you can see into your future, and
can't do a thing about it.

Ya know ... the REALLY stupid part is that I had been using masking tape
over my fingers just a few minutes earlier on the preceding pen, but had
removed it when it got wet and it just never crossed my mind that I had
removed my protection. It never registered. I was just getting the
dangly part away from the spinny part.

I don't wrap anything around my fingers ... not, especially, a paper
towel that is about to be soaked in CA. But, apparently, the bottle had
been partially plugged and the 'cork' had popped ... leaving me
squeezing too hard on a bottle that was now flowing just fine.

One finger should heal pretty quick ... the other one is going to take a
while. A couple young Brothers have volunteered to cover for me at the
Kingdom Hall this week because there is no way I'm going to be able to
hang on to powered lawn equipment by Wednesday.

I finished up that pen and started another ... the left hand doesn't do
much anyway at the lathe. ;-)

Throbbing today ... but on the mend.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 3:23:42 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

skeez wrote:

I use surgical gloves from harbor freight. 3 bucks on sale for a box
of 100. if this happens with the gloves they will rip the glove off
without getting your fingers.
also I apply CA with the blue expantion joint material you find on
concrete jobs. not sure what its called but it is a foam plastic type
material and a few feet of it will last for years turning pens. this
stuff doesnt react with the CA. you get a little more working time
too. thats a big plus.

skeez

I sometimes use the blue nitrile gloves from the same source, but
usually only when I am dying the wood (got a NICE macadamia nut cigar
pen dyed purple with the top layer of dye sanded off ... looks like op-art)

Maybe, when the gauze comes off, I'll get in the habit of using them.
They tear so easily around a lathe that I seem to go through them
awfully fast.

Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-3, 07/22/2007
Tested on: 7/22/2007 4:58:03 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just another bit of advice from my own experience. If you wear gloves of any
type at the lathe be careful. I have had my hand pulled into the lathe while
wearing vinyl gloves. They were not really loose fitting, but not super
tight either. Long story short it wrapped my hand around the pen I was
turning. And then proceeded to pull my arm in and around the work. Luckily
the belt on the pulley began to slip. So I could yank the plug from the
wall. Ever since then, I now use a "deadman" foot switch on my lathe. So
anything happens, I can just move my foot and the lathe stops.

Donald Vivian

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
skeez wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

skeez wrote:

[...]

i cut the fingers out and only use that part.

skeez
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Donald Vivian wrote:
Just another bit of advice from my own experience. If you wear gloves of
any type at the lathe be careful. I have had my hand pulled into the
lathe while wearing vinyl gloves. They were not really loose fitting,
but not super tight either. Long story short it wrapped my hand around
the pen I was turning. And then proceeded to pull my arm in and around
the work. Luckily the belt on the pulley began to slip. So I could yank
the plug from the wall. Ever since then, I now use a "deadman" foot
switch on my lathe. So anything happens, I can just move my foot and the
lathe stops.

Donald Vivian

So I can keep working, I bought some finger cots (like tiny condoms).

They seem to be plenty durable, but I doubt if they'd survive a trip
around a bowl.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000759-0, 07/23/2007
Tested on: 7/23/2007 2:44:58 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:44:57 -0400, BillinDetroit
wrote:

Donald Vivian wrote:
Just another bit of advice from my own experience. If you wear gloves of
any type at the lathe be careful. I have had my hand pulled into the
lathe while wearing vinyl gloves. They were not really loose fitting,
but not super tight either. Long story short it wrapped my hand around
the pen I was turning. And then proceeded to pull my arm in and around
the work. Luckily the belt on the pulley began to slip. So I could yank
the plug from the wall. Ever since then, I now use a "deadman" foot
switch on my lathe. So anything happens, I can just move my foot and the
lathe stops.

Donald Vivian

So I can keep working, I bought some finger cots (like tiny condoms).

They seem to be plenty durable, but I doubt if they'd survive a trip
around a bowl.

Bill

I've also used the "high friction" tape from Lee Valley...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...13&cat=1,42207

I guess any first aid wrap would work, but I like the adhesive in this stuff..
very nice for sanding natural edge bowls... gives a bit of warning before your
finger gets whacked..

Accident claim? Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 17th 06 02:58 PM
Guess the cause of the accident? /. Metalworking 51 February 20th 06 09:47 PM
We may set something up! I saw you by accident and I'm interested in you!!!! Allen Metalworking 0 September 12th 05 03:36 AM
Scary Accident DamnYankeeBastard Woodworking 20 December 31st 04 08:18 AM
Stupid shop accident Nick Silva Woodturning 7 August 1st 04 03:08 AM