Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Sharpening Jointer Blades

"Mike O." wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:34:04 -0400, wrote:

How does one sharpen a 6 1/2" long joiner blade? Can you do it
yourself
or must one have them sharpened by a pro?

You can do it yourself but we have ours sharpened.
If I remember, a set of 3 (6 1/8") costs us about $10.00 plus tax to
be sharpened. We usually take in a bunch of stuff at one time so we
do have some volume but the knives are not expensive to have done.

Cheap. The reason I bought my Makita sharpener was because they wanted
fifty cents an inch (15 years ago) and I still had to clean up after the
sharpening on my honing stone.

In the interim I cut a saw kerf in a block of wood at the proper angle,
wedged the knives in it and raised it with thicknesses of paper and passed
it beneath a cone-shaped stone on my drillpress. Worked great, but the
Makita's better.