Posted to uk.d-i-y
Franko Franko is offline

Default Water pipes make humming sound

"sk8terg1rl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey group,

In one of the loos of my place, the water pipes have an annoying habit
of making a humming sound after the cistern is flushed. In fact, if
you stand still in the room, you can actually feel the vibrations
through the floor. Opening the taps in another part of the house
temporarily gets rid of it (changes resonant frequency?) but this is
obviously a wasteful way of fixing the problem.

What exactly is the problem the plumbing is facing, and how do I fix
it DIY?

Removing the spout in the cistern that redirects the refilling water
flow from a fountain (upwards) to more like a faucet (downwards)
seemed to help for a few months, but now the problem is back :-(

Bear in mind the household is a female student one so please keep the
procedures simple with no open-heart surgeries on the plumbing
described ;-)

Thanks for any advice,
skate xx

If you search through previous messages on this forum, there is a thread
about this exact problem started by Brian Reay and dated 04/06/07 at 07:01.

Franko.